- To my dog: if you tell me that you have to pee, I believe you. If you then decide to just run around sniffing out rabbits while I stand, shivering, in the cold wind with snow blowing into my clothes, the deal is so over.
- To my fears: fuck you, I can write.
- To my writing brain: stop obsessing about character names. Not. That. Important. You are dithering.
- To Martha Stewart: do you test any of your recipes before publication? I didn’t think so.
- To the rain that I watched turn into snow today: thanks, that was impressive.
- To the thousand and one box elder bugs invading my house: you are a positive sign of spring, but still, stay out of my coffee.
- To J.K.Rowling: thank you for the hours and hours of entertainment you have given my family. You are a genius.
- To Cornelia Funke: see above. Also, you are producing some of the most creative children’s fantasy fiction of the day. My daughter is currently reading Inkheart. Again.
Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.