- My dog. She gets me outside first thing in the morning, when the birds are chirping and the rabbit prints remain undisturbed in the snow.
- My temple. For pushing me.
- Winter nights. Somehow they seem sheltering and safe in a way that summer nights, full of wildness and possibility, do not.
- Orion, the hunter. I always thought he was watching out for me, like the woodcutter in Little Red Riding Hood.
- Oranges and grapefruit, my winter food obsession. Can’t. Get. Enough.
- Etta James, Joan Jett, Billie Holiday, Pat Benatar, Beyoncé and a hundred other kick-ass women testifying.
- My late, great Grandmother “R”. She taught me about secular humanism, feminism and independence. When I was nine. She was the smartest and sanest person in every room.
- Family family family, even the crazies.